- More women in America will die this year from abuse than from car accidents... muggings & rapes combined.
- 20% of all emergency room visits are from women who were beaten by their mate.
- 28% of all females battered are pregnant.
- 3/4 of domestic assaults reported to law enforcement agencies were inflicted after the couple seperated.
- A woman is battered every 15 seconds in the U.S.
- Every year between 2 and 4 million American women are battered by their husbands or boyfriends.
- The average number of times a woman leaves her batterer is 8
- Only about 1/7 of all domestic violence assaults come to the attention of the police.
- Women are most likely to be murdered when attempting to report abuse or to leave an abusive relationship.
- Abuse encompasses more than just physical violence. Just as devastaing are verbal, emotional, sexual, and financial
WHO IS EFFECTED BY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
These relationships are considered to be domestic. Minor children of any of the people in these relationships
Spouses or people who are married
People who are divorced or seperated
People who are related by blood or marriage
People who have had or are going to have a child together
People who have live together or have lived together in the past three years
People in a dating relationship
People who have been in a dating relationship in the past three years
Caretaker realtive of a child and a relative who has visitation rights and/or who is making child support